International Studies Program
International Studies Study Abroad Opportunities
Please note: Study abroad offerings are subject to change due to budgetary restrictions or other contingencies.
Tempe Prep high school students and faculty travel to Regensburg, Germany in the summer of 2015, as part of a school-to-school exchange.
Sponsor: Herr Gray
Tempe Prep high school students and faculty will be traveling to San Juan del Rio, Queretaro, located on Mexico’s central plateau, 31 miles south-east of the state capital Querétaro (2 hours from Mexico City). San Juan is famous for its opals. It is an agricultural center and has light industry. A number of wineries, dairies, hotels, Colonial buildings, museums, and churches are also located in the vicinity.
Dr. Jaime Cardoso: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Olivia Salcido: email@example.com
Tempe Sister Cities Summer Exchange Program
During the summer between the junior and senior years, Tempe Sister Cities — a non-profit organization that funds educational and community outreach programs — sends two Tempe high school students overseas to visit Tempe’s eight sister cities for five weeks in June and July.
Selected students will visit the following cities:
- Four will venture to Tempe’s oldest sister city, Skopje, Macedonia, to experience Eastern Europe after the fall of the Iron Curtain
- Four will travel to Zhenjiang, China — Tempe’s largest sister city with more than a million people
- Eight will head to Regensburg, Germany to meet up with Tempe’s German counterparts at the Regensburg-Tempe Friendship Club, and together explore the city’s Romanesque and Gothic architecture
- Four will visit the beautiful French Riveria, staying in Beaulieu-sur-Mer, France, where European royals once vacationed
- Four will journey to Carlow, Ireland — the first electrified city in the British Isles and home to a thriving university culture
- Four will head down under to visit Lower Hutt, New Zealand, which is included in the Wellington region and home to some of the most beautiful coastal country. Students will have the opportunity to visit sites from the filming of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and other movies made in the region.
- Two will journey to Trollhattan, Sweden to experience life with a Swedish family and tour local sites, including Lake Vanem and the SAAB factory
- Two will fly south to the UNESCO World Heritage Trust Site of Cuenca, Ecuador — Tempe’s newest sister city teeming with living history
Please note: Applications are due in December for the Tempe Sister Cities Summer Exchange Program.Apply Here
Concordia Language Camps
The Concordia Language Camps are reserved for middle school and high school students to study Spanish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Danish, Portugese, Arabic, Finnish, Russian and Norwegian. For more information, please visit http://www.concordialanguagevillages.org/.
Phoenix Sister Cities Youth Ambassador Exchange Program
The Youth Ambassador Exchange Program is a competitive hard work program for rising Phoenix high school sophomores and juniors. A select group of students will depart to a chosen host country for approximately three weeks during the summer and serve as ambassadors representing Phoenix, Ariz. These students live with a host family and an international counterpart where they are fully immersed in the culture of the region. For more information, please visit https://www.phoenixsistercities.org/index.php/youth-ambassador-exchange-program.
National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y)
The National Security Language Initiative for Youth is a program that offers high school students the opportunity to study a foreign language abroad on a full scholarship through the U.S. State Department. For more information, please visit http://www.nsliforyouth.org/.